Sure, you probably come to Hooters for the wings. But what about the appetizers? While you do have plenty of options, you may want to try the buffalo wings. It’s hard to argue against this option, as you have shrimp that’s been breaded by hand before it’s tossed into your favorite wing sauce and deep fried.
What you get is then the classic formula of crisp breading on the outside, with tender shrimp meat on the inside. With the dipping sauce and some lemon wedges, it’s absolutely terrific. What’s more, you only pay about $12.99 for buffalo shrimp. It’s not exactly a luxury item based on the price, though you might think that way when you get a taste.
This sure goes well with beer, or many other alcoholic beverages for that matter. Or you can use this as a starter dish at home, when you have friends over for dinner. You can always have the shrimp delivered, and maybe you can even get the wings as well.
Before you start cooking, it’s always best to make sure you have all the ingredients and equipment you’ll need.
For the Buffalo Sauce
- ½ cup of Louisiana hot sauce OR½ cup of Frank’s red-hot sauce
- 4ounces of unsalted butter
- ¼teaspoon of paprika
- ⅛teaspoon of black pepper
- ⅛teaspoon of garlic powder
For the Shrimp
- 24 pieces of fresh large shrimp, peeled and de-veined
- 2eggs, beaten
- 8fluid ounces of milk
- 2cups of flour
- Enough oil for deep-frying
- Cooking stove
- A small saucepan
- A small bowl
- Large (gallon size) Ziplock bags
- Deep fryer
- Large Tupperware container (with a lid)
- Paper towels
Preparing the Shrimp for Cooking
You may want to watch some YouTube videos to do this. It’s actually easy to do, though you should take a little care when doing this so you don’t ruin the shrimp.
How to Cook
First, start with the sauce:
- Combine all the ingredients listed in the small saucepan.
- Set this over medium heat until the butter has thoroughly mixed in with all the other ingredients.
- Cover the saucepan once that’s done, and then keep this warm over low heat.
Now the Shrimp
- In a small bowl, combine the eggs with the milk.
- Place the flour inside the large Ziplock bag.
- Get 6 of the shrimp, and then coat them with the egg-milk mixture.
- Toss the 6 shrimp pieces into the bag of flour and then shake the bag well to make sure you coat the shrimp properly.
- Leave the shrimp there for the meantime.
- Do the same thing for the other shrimp pieces. Do 6 shrimp at a time and then coat them with the egg mixture. Then use the same Ziplock bag. You just need to make sure that all the shrimp have been thoroughly coated with the flour.
- Place the shrimp in the bag inside your fridge, and leave them there for about 5 to 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat up your deep fryer to 375 degrees F.
- Deep fry the shrimp for about 8 to 10 minutes. You’ll know the shrimp are done when the shrimp tails have turned nicely dark brown.
- Remove the shrimp from the fryer, and then drain them onto paper towels.
- Once enough oil has been drained from the shrimp, toss the shrimp gently into your prepared buffalo sauce. This is best done by using the Tupperware container with a lid. Turn the Tupperware container a few times to make sure you properly coat all the shrimp.
- Take the shrimp out, and serve perhaps 3 or 4 pieces for each person. Serve with lemon wedges on the side.
What If You Don’t Have a Ziplock Bag?
The lack of a Ziplock bag isn’t really a big deal.
- You can just set the egg mixture in one bowl, and then you have another bowl for the flour.
- Dredge the shrimp into the egg mixture first, and then coat each shrimp with the flour.
- Then set the shrimp aside into a large dish or bowl while you do another shrimp.
- After that, set the shrimp into the fridge for about 10 minutes.
You may be worried about eating shrimp if you have cholesterol issues. But you can talk to your doctor about this, and it might be okay as long as you don’t eat a lot.
This is a healthy version of the Hooters Buffalo Shrimp, as this doesn’t have the breading. That means lower calories and sodium content, and that’s always a good thing!