When planning a vacation or when our work takes us constantly away from home, we wonder what to do to improve home security.
One way to deter burglars is to keep your home visibly active. Keep lights on in different rooms, have someone come in and out regularly and make sure all entrances are well lit.
If you are going to be gone for an extended period of time, put timers on lights or have a friend or neighbor watch your home periodically. Burglars don’t want to risk being seen or discovered. In this installment we will be giving some tips to keep home security stable and solid.
1.- Tips for Improving Home Security
The folks at Locksmith Phoenix, recommend us to be proactive when it comes to home security. By following a few simple tips, we can make the home less of a target for burglars.
- First, keep all windows and doors locked when you are not home. This may seem like common sense, but many burglaries occur when homeowners leave their homes unsecured.
- Another key tip is to install a quality home security system. A good security system will deter burglars and alert you if someone tries to break into your home.
- Make sure you don’t leave any valuables in plain sight. Burglars are more likely to target homes that appear to have something valuable to steal inside.
- Keep the yard well lit. An area with plenty of light makes it less likely that someone will try to enter your home undetected.
- Mislead burglars by making it look like the house is inhabited by leaving some clothes lying around and not lowering the blinds all the way. It is also recommended to leave an automatic system of lights on for when they enter during daylight hours, this way you will confuse them even more!
- The best way to protect yourself from theft is to make an inventory of all valuables and store them in a safe deposit box, or in a place where they are secure. Still, there is always room for concern; if you think someone may be trying to break in, put locks on every door behind which there is anything worth stealing.
- The dangers of social media to your home security are more than you think. You never know who might be reading the comments that accompany these posts, and it’s important for families to educate their children about this issue as well. A recent study found a link between excessive Facebook use and lower rates of desirable qualities, such as associative personality disorder or depression, so perhaps limiting screen time will also help improve those mental health statistics.
- Be careful who you let into your home, stranger or Never open the door to a person who doesn’t look like family. Also teach your children to never do this and to always be aware of your surroundings when they are left alone at night with no one else; after all, there is safety in numbers.
- Be sure to use strong, secure doors. It is essential that the door to your home, especially in a residential area or urban setting, is of quality and sturdy, with locks that will keep out intruders who want nothing more than to enter one’s property, which could lead directly to their personal safety.
- Vary your route home. Burglars often watch the routes people take to and from their homes to decide which ones to rob next, so varying your route a bit will keep them from targeting you as an easy target.
While there is no single answer to maintaining home security, following these basic tips can help make your home a less attractive target for criminals.
With so many features and benefits, it’s no wonder that security systems are becoming increasingly popular among homeowners. However, when choosing a security system, do your research and select a system that meets your specific needs. Click here to learn more.
By being aware of your surroundings and taking a few simple precautions, you can keep yourself and your loved ones safe.
Have you had any close or frightening experiences with home security? We want to hear about it. Share your story in the comments below or on our social media pages.