If you’re having marital issues, you must be wondering, “How to find a divorce lawyer?” Divorce cases are often complex, but finding a divorce lawyer shouldn’t be too difficult. If you need an affordable way to seek a divorce, you will not likely want to go the court route. After all, divorces can get costly pretty quickly when you need lawyers and other professionals in your corner. However, there is a better way to find an affordable divorce lawyer in Mesa, Arizona.
A divorce is a legal procedure that terminates a married couple’s marriage. In many countries, including the United States, Canada, and Mexico, it usually entails issues of dower rights, spousal support, child custody, and division of property. Though it can be a very complicated legal process, it doesn’t have to be once you get the right lawyer for the job. Even if you’ve consulted with several lawyers already, it never hurts to take your time and make sure that you hire someone who has experience in family law cases and someone you feel comfortable with and can trust.
How Do I Find a Divorce Lawyer?
The answer is simple. Do your research and interview divorce lawyers until you find the right one for you. But that isn’t all there is to it. You need to know what you are looking for, the right questions to ask, and how to evaluate the answers. And then, you will still have to make your decision based on your gut feelings about the lawyer.
The first step in finding a good divorce lawyer is determining where your priorities lie. If you have children, what kind of custody arrangement do you want? Do you plan on moving out of the state? If so, who will have primary custody? How much child support do you expect to receive or pay? Who will get what if you have extensive property such as a home, retirement accounts, or investment property? How much alimony do you expect to receive or pay?
Here are some ways to find the right lawyer for your situation.
- Ask for recommendations from friends, relatives, or colleagues who have been through a divorce.
- If you know any lawyers, ask them if they can recommend any good divorce lawyers and whether they have any personal experience working with them. Don’t rely on this too much. However, lawyers often have very different practices, and what was a good fit for your friend may not be suitable for you and vice versa.
- Contact your local bar association (a phone number should get listed in your phone book). They may be able to refer you to an appropriate lawyer or give you some general advice on finding one.
- Ask the lawyer for references from clients who had divorces similar to yours. Contact those clients to find out their experiences with the lawyer; whether they were satisfied with the outcome; whether they would recommend retaining this attorney; and if not, why not.
- Use various Internet resources. Check the lawyer’s disciplinary history at www.calbar.ca.gov/.
- Interview candidates. Once you have found a few lawyers who fit these criteria, it is time to interview them. You will want to ask them about their experience in the field and whether they feel comfortable working with you. In addition, be sure to ask them how long they have been practicing law and how many cases they handle each year.
- Finally, if you are going through an uncontested divorce or mediation, it is crucial to choose an attorney specializing in that area of law. While you should feel comfortable with them during the process, make sure that your lawyer understands all of the laws surrounding uncontested divorces and mediations. If they do not fully understand these laws, they may not be able to represent your interests during mediation or court proceedings effectively.
What’s Your Budget?
Divorces can get expensive, regardless of how little or how much property or debt there is. You need to decide if it is worth hiring a lawyer to handle the paperwork and negotiations with your spouse’s attorney. If so, look for an attorney who offers flat rather than hourly fees for uncontested cases.
The decision to be legally separated as a married couple to end your relationship is never easy. However, it does happen quite often in today’s world that people get married and have children but soon realize that surviving in the same household is not working out for them. At this point, each partner goes through their processes of mind and heart – weighing the alternatives and deciding whether they want to go through the steps of exploring the option of legal separation. When one partner decides that a legal separation will ultimately be in their best interest, they start looking for a divorce lawyer in Mesa, Arizona, who can provide affordable services and handle their case with care and sensitivity towards their needs.